Every Louisiana personal injury case is unique. Each case has its own facts, evidence, and witnesses that will all make it different from every other case.
But regardless of the type of case (whether car accident, maritime accident, industrial accident, or any other kind), the Louisiana personal injury case process is usually the same.
You can generally expect the following timeline for your accident case.
Louisiana Personal Injury Case Process: Before Filing a Lawsuit
- First, we will meet to discuss the facts of your case to learn what exactly happened. This will allow me to fully appreciate the accident, the injuries you’ve suffered, and the potentially responsible parties.
- Once I agree to take your case, I’ll investigate the facts to determine all of the companies (including insurance companies) and people responsible for your injuries.
- Depending on the case, it can be effective to reach out to the other side and offer them the opportunity to pay you a fair and just settlement to resolve the case.
- If the parties won’t offer you a fair settlement, I’ll file suit against them.
Louisiana Personal Injury Case Process: After Filing a Lawsuit
- We then begin the discovery process. Discovery gives us the chance to obtain documents from the defendants and make them answer written questions about the case; get documents from third parties; depose witnesses under oath; and hire experts to support your claim.
- You will have to give a deposition during the discovery process. This gives the other side an opportunity to ask you questions about the case and about your background. Being involved in a lawsuit is stressful enough, but few stresses in the case will compare to giving a deposition. You can rest assured, however, that I’ll be there with you every step of the way to prepare you for the deposition and make sure that the other lawyers in the case treat you fairly.
- We will also have the chance to depose the defendants, whether that is a driver, company representative, insurance adjuster, or somebody else entirely, and the other people who may know something about your accident. These depositions give us a full understanding of the case so we can begin preparing for trial.
- We may also need to hire experts to support your claim, such as economists, vocational rehabilitation experts, and experts to establish that the defendants are liable for the harm that you suffered.
- Once discovery is completed, we will prepare your case for trial.
- I will continue to try to settle your case throughout the discovery process, but some cases just won’t settle.
- If the defendants refuse to settle on terms that are fair to you, I will take your case to trial and do everything I can to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call a Louisiana Accident Lawyer Today
Regardless of your type of case, if you hire The Mahone Firm, you will be involved in every step of the process and will have an advocate who will work tirelessly for you.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident, whether a truck accident, offshore accident, motorcycle accident, or otherwise, call (504) 564-7342 to speak to a New Orleans personal injury attorney and get the help you need.