Louisiana is among the states highly vulnerable to hurricane damage. Thousands of people are counting losses after Hurricane Laura struck several parts of Louisiana, including New Orleans and Lake Charles. Some residents were lucky to experience minor property damages, while others suffered greater devastation.
If you have homeowners insurance in New Orleans, you’re probably thinking about filing a hurricane insurance claim to compensate for your damages. It is good to know that most New Orleans homeowner’s insurance policies cover damage from hurricanes, except in flooding.
While you may have been paying your premiums faithfully, insurance companies can easily deny your claim. Since adjusters operate on behalf of insurers, they are likely to employ dishonest tactics to trick you into accepting a lower settlement amount than you deserve.
Here are some of the common bad-faith tricks adjusters keep up their sleeves:
- Claiming your property had preexisting damage
- Claiming you only need roof repair even if your property needs to be rebuild
- Giving misleading interpretation of specific clauses in your insurance contract
- Failure to provide you with information relevant to your case
- Telling you that you don’t need a lawyer
- Changing adjusters to delay the process as much as possible
- Denying your hurricane claim without thoroughly investigating it in a reasonable time.
Using bad-faith tactics to deny or lowball a claim is illegal. Don’t allow this to happen to you. Talk to an attorney who specializes in New Orleans homeowner’s hurricane insurance claims.
Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Louisiana
If you are a homeowner in Louisiana without a homeowner’s insurance policy, it might be quite challenging to recover from the devastating damages Mother Nature inflicts on this state. Insurance protects your property and finances, giving you peace of mind. Finding the right coverage in your area is a lot easier and quicker with the help of a homeowner’s insurance lawyer. You tell them what you’re looking for, and they will help you compare several insurance quotes to find the right coverage.
Homeowners Insurance Rates in New Orleans
The rates vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the level of coverage, deductibles, and preferred insurance provider. On average, though, homeowners in New Orleans can expect to pay about $5,457 in premiums.
Documentation of Hurricane Damages
Documenting damages is a critical aspect of your hurricane insurance claim process. Unless you provide detailed and credible evidence, your insurer will question your claims of damage. Don’t give the insurance company a reason to delay or deny your hurricane claim.
Here are a few tips to help you with the documentation process:
- Provide detailed photographs or videos showing the state of your home or property before and after hurricane damage
- Ensure you have copies of all the receipts for repair, replacement, and additional living expenses
- Make a list of everything damaged inside your property
- Get everything in writing, including communication with the insurance representatives, to avoid misunderstanding down the road
Contact The Mahone Firm For A Free Case Evaluation
If you need legal assistance to resolve a disputed homeowner’s insurance New Orleans claim, The Mahone Firm can help. We will carefully review your insurance policy to determine if you have a strong insurance claim. Whether you need legal help in filing a claim or appealing a denied claim, our law firm can represent you and fight for your rights.